aloha every day

aloha every day

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Punkin


My dearest Punkin,

I've been trying to figure out why I love you so.  Is it your creamy texture?  God knows I love a good creamy cooking ingredient.  Could it be that your bright orange ambiance reminds me to look for the light?   Or maybe my love extends into your associated spices of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.

Punkin, these are all reasons why I love you.  However, I cannot pinpoint one of them to be THE reason why you make me feel all giddy inside.  You see, when you blend all of these reasons together, and then whisk in a crisp fall morning, you yield a heaping serving of regeneration.  

What do you mean, "What do you mean?"  Can't you see it?  As the leaves turn color, I am reminded of what in my life needs a color makeover.  Can my grey pessimism be painted a lovely yellow optimism?  Can my navy blue depressive sentiments be washed with sea green positivity swimming with the surging possibilities of my future?  

Can't you feel it?  As the cool breeze sweeps into the still-open windows, the brisk temperature shocks me into awareness.  I am reminded to slow down and awaken to my surroundings.  I have knowingly surrounded myself with lovely things that bring a cozy feeling to my ever-moving life.  I am, by nature, a busy bee.  I thrive on moving: ever-working, ever-thinking, ever-creating, ever-completing.  Balance, however, requires a slowing...a time to reflect...a time to stop moving...a time to be comforted by what is around you.  

It is these changes brought on by Fall, that spark regeneration in the soul.  I've witnessed it recently in those around me.  My mom, allowing herself to slow down and recognize what is important to her in living a balanced life, has been able to prioritize herself, and in so doing, she has emerged an inspiring light.  My dear friend Jenny, deciding and then taking steps toward inspiring others to live a healthy life...http://jennychodola.blogspot.com/  I've seen co-workers, inspired by the colors and flavors of Fall (you included), create effective projects with clarity in their goals.  I've received phone calls with reports of engagements, new homes bought, babies born.  Most of all, I've observed smiles, light, breath, and relief in the general populace. 

Punkin, YOU are the representation of this regeneration.  You come reliably with dedication to your purpose and integrity to the task at hand.  Then, you stand firm.  You hold your ground.  You continue to inspire until Fall gives way to Winter.  THIS is why I love you.  Keep on keepin' on, Punkin.  I need you in my life.

Aloha,
Lindsay

p.s. Here are my favorite punkin recipes (so far) from this Fall:

Pumpkin Oatmeal:
I made this one up this morning, and adore it!  I didn't really measure, so the measurements below are approximates.  Fiddle with it and find your perfect pumpkin oatmeal!

2/3 cup steel-cut oats
1 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup canned pumpkin (I like the Trader Joes variety)
1 T cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
2 T butter
4 T maple syrup
shake of salt
* Bring oats and water to a boil, then stir and reduce heat
* Add milk and pumpkin, stir until fully mixed
* add remaining ingredients and cook until texture is desirable.

Pumpkin Scones:
My friend Allison, who writes an amazing blog, shared this recipe:
Here are my scone results prior to baking/glazing:

Pumpkin Raviolis:
I followed this recipe:
Then, I added finely chopped tomatoes and zuchinni on top (drizzled in EVOO, of course)
Ah-maze-ing!
Go through the process of making your own ravioli dough...
it's worth it.

Pumpkin Waffles:
Thanks to Coastal Living Magazine, I came across this gem:
Of course, we topped the waffle with pumpkin ice cream from Trader Joes.
 Hmpf.
So there.

aloha.


No comments: