aloha every day

aloha every day

Thursday, June 10, 2010

CSA Hooray!


In our hankering for a fresh summer, we joined a Community Supported Agrigulture (CSA).  CSAs provide a box of prodcue straight from the local farmer, ensuring that the vegetables are of upmost nutritional quality, and supporting the local economy! 

We didn't know what to expect, but upon picking up our first CSA box about an hour ago, this vegetarian has NEVER been more excited! LOTS of salad greens, tomatoes, eggplant, mango, kale, swiss chard....oh my!  We couldn't have bought half of this from the grocery for what we paid for a weekly box. 

I also love that someone else chooses the vegetables for us.  If I were to pick veggies, I would pick what I am comfortable with cooking.  Now, I'm learning to cook kale and swiss chard!  Plus, even though we love eggplant and mangos, we never buy them because they're expensive! AND someone else has done my shopping for me!  How about that!

All around, all positives! 
The picture above is of the loot from our first box...

Best thing about Hawai'i?  Most vegetables are in season year-round!

No comments: